Welcome

Crunchy= natural, green, environmental, granola.
Cradle= birth, baby, breastfeeding, pregnancy.
Catholic= One, Holy, Universal, and Apostolic Church

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our switch to Cloth Diapers

"Why would you use cloth diapers?'' I keep getting this question, since we decided to switch from disposables to cloth. When our first son was born we bought some cloth diapers and thought we were trying to be "green". We did not do our research and the brand that we bought was not very high quality. We used them for only a short while and then gave up.

Now I have 3 kids and at the time we made the switch, two were in diapers. We were spending about $80/month on diapers. I kept thinking, there has to be a better way. So I spent some time looking on the internet and talking to some other Moms who I knew used cloth diapers. We bought 5 to start because I was still a little unsure. This time we made the switch not only to be green, but to save a little green as well! It's been just over a month and we are loving cloth diapers!

We decided to buy "One size" diapers since we had two who would be using them. Again, at first I was skeptical, how could one diaper fit my 5 month old and 2 1/2 year old? These diapers have lots of snaps on the front of them to make them adjustable. They really will fit your baby until potty training time. They are also AIO or all-in-one diapers, meaning that you don't need a separate cover. They have a waterproof layer sewn on the outside.

The best part about switching, honestly isn't that we're saving hundreds of diapers from going into the landfill, or that we're saving money every month, BUT that my 2 year old hated them. That's right, he kept asking to wear the old disposables. He hated them so much he started using the toilet, and is now completely potty trained! He could feel that he was wet in the cloth diapers, and it motivated him to get to the potty.

Now, to take things one step further, we are using cloth baby wipes! At first, again, I didn't like this idea, but it only makes sense that as you are wiping baby, you want to put the dirty wipe inside the diaper. Now I can put the cloth wipe inside the diaper and throw the whole thing in the wash. (See older post with recipe for making your own cloth wipe solution).


No comments:

follow me

follow me

Followers