Welcome

Crunchy= natural, green, environmental, granola.
Cradle= birth, baby, breastfeeding, pregnancy.
Catholic= One, Holy, Universal, and Apostolic Church

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Delayed cord clamping

I learned about the benefits of delayed cord clamping 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest son.  I have since had 3 babies (including him), and not once has my request to not clamp the cord, been honored.  It must be a reflex for the OB to reach for the clamp as soon as the baby is born. 

Now, as a childbirth educator I share with my students the benefits of delayed cord clamping.  I have had several students come back to me, after talking with their OB, and tell me that their doctor did not agree.  The below article is the most recent one that I have read in support of of NOT clamping the cord right away...feel free to share it with your OB!!

PS-most midwives already know this, so if you think that your OB might forget, like mine did, you might want to consider hiring a midwife to attend your birth.

http://www.examiner.com/x-36549-Seattle-Womens-Issues-Examiner~y2010m5d25-Delayed-Cord-Clamping-Beneficial

No comments:

follow me

follow me

Followers