Welcome

Crunchy= natural, green, environmental, granola.
Cradle= birth, baby, breastfeeding, pregnancy.
Catholic= One, Holy, Universal, and Apostolic Church

Monday, February 14, 2011

Dads and Doulas

Each of my pregnancies was such an exciting time.  It was a time of preparing, reflecting and growing (more than just physically).  My husband shared in my joy and excitement during pregnancy.  He took childbirth classes with me and was confident that he knew me better than anyone else and therefore would be able to support me during labor.

I am a nurse, so I felt like I had a good understanding of the physiology of birth, but I wanted my husband to understand what would be happening to my body during labor.  I found some books on childbirth and gave them to him to read. There was one thing that I was a little worried about....him fainting while I was giving birth.  My fears weren't all that irrational, my husband actually passed out, sitting on the light rail train, while reading a book about birth.

So, we decided that we wanted someone else to be present with us during the birth of our first baby, a labor support person (a doula!), someone who was familiar with birth and would NOT be fainting.    My husband was afraid that a doula would take his place is supporting me, but it wasn't like that at all.  A doula is familiar with labor and birth, and my husband was familiar with my needs, likes, wants, etc.  They were a great team, two experts to help support me and guide me through one of the best days of my life!

I do truly believe that Dads and Doulas make the best support team a woman could have during labor.

PS-my husband did great and hasn't fainted at the births of any of our 4 children!

No comments:

follow me

follow me

Followers